Guide for Staff and Faculty

Campus staff and faculty can refer a student to the Students of Concern Committee by submitting a CARE Report through our secure online form here. Once a report is accepted and assessed, someone from our office may contact you to gather more information and/or share the coordinated plan of action if needed.

If you have questions about submitting a report, please call 510-664-4218. For more resources on how to help a distressed student, refer to the Campus & Community Resources Page.

NOTE: The Care Report is NOT for EMERGENCIES.

  • The phone number listed above is not a 24-hour service access to support.
  • If there is an immediate threat to a student (either through self-harm or interpersonal violence) or the community, please call 911 or 510-642-3333.
  • If you believe a student is in need of immediate psychological help, when Counseling & Psychological Services is open, call 510-642-9494; if after hours, call 510-643-7197.

Guide for Students

Our office conducts outreach on behalf of the campus community when there is concern for your well-being. Our goal is to meet with you, hear about what you have been experiencing, and try to connect you with resources and/or support.

Meeting with a case manager is intended to be a non-punitive measure to help support you through whatever you may be experiencing. We encourage you to contact us to schedule a time to meet.

What about Confidentiality or Privacy?

Information provided to the Office of Center for Support and Intervention is protected according to educational privacy laws. This is different from the type of confidentiality a student would have when working with a mental health or medical professional, or with an attorney.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) allows University faculty and staff to share observations about the behavior of students, statements made by students, and concerns about students generally with UC staff and faculty who have responsibility for the welfare of students, and with law enforcement.

FERPA and other student privacy regulations generally allow the University to release such information to parents, police, or others whose knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health and safety of the student or other individuals. Appropriate consideration for student privacy should be given before information is shared with people other than those suggested in this document, and questions about when such disclosure is appropriate can be answered by the campus Office of Legal Affairs.

Students may sign a FERPA waiver in cases where they would like for a Case Manager to be able to communicate information about their student record with an outside provider, such as an off-campus counselor, doctor, parent, or attorney. Students may also sign a waiver of confidentiality with the Tang Center when they would like greater coordination of care between the Tang Center and the Center for Support and Intervention.